Laser hair removal is the process of removing unwanted hair by exposing it to a laser beam that destroys the hair follicle. So if you are tired of waxing, shaving or tweezing, then you can definitely try laser hair removal. But there are certain things that you should definitely know before making this decision. If you are weighing the option on whether to go for laser hair removal or not, then it is absolutely necessary to know how it can really help you.
Here are five myths about laser hair removal.
- Laser hair removal permanently removes unwanted hair in one visit: With laser hair removal you can reduce the hair in unwanted areas but it cannot make the hair completely disappear. You can reduce the hair growth and may need to go for multiple sessions depending on your hair growth. The hair growth cycle will vary from person to person.
- Any beauty salon or spas can do laser treatment: This is one of the biggest mistakes you can ever do. Laser hair removal requires a highly trained and experienced practitioner. So find a doctor who has specialized in dermatology or cosmetic surgery with sufficient experience.
- Laser Hair Removal is Painful: In truth this treatment is less painful than waxing or tweezing. If your skin is highly sensitive then they will prescribe some medicine for you to take. A cooling gel is applied before and after laser treatment. To make the treatment more comfortable numbing cream is also provided.
- It works for all hair types: Dark hair is the most ideal for laser treatment. White or grey hair is very difficult to remove because laser rays will not be able to identify the pigments. Even red, brown hairs can also be removed by using lasers.
- All lasers are same: This is not at all true. Lasers are of different types. The type of laser used can have greater impact on the comfort level of the treatment. You should definitely ask the doctor the kind of laser that he is going to use because it makes a huge difference.
What to expect after laser hair removal?
Immediately after laser hair removal there will be redness and swelling of the skin. To reduce the redness you need to apply ice on the affected area. The doctor may also prescribe some cream or gel to apply on the skin. You should definitely avoid sunlight after the treatment. Once the skin is completely healed you should use sun screen whenever you step out into the sun. Some of the side effects are redness, swelling, scarring and blisters.
Blisters are mostly found in dark skinned people. Laser hair removal may require multiple sessions because it will be effective only on actively growing hair and not all hair follicles are active at the same time. So don’t stop yourself after one visit if you want the treatment to be effective. So if you are considering laser hair removal find out the best medical facility in your area. So that you know you are in safe hands.