If you were to ask the majority of people whether they would rather live a longer life or shorter the results would lean towards wanting to live longer. For hundreds of years humans have been trying to find ways to increase their lifespan and in recent years the average life expectancy has increased by nearly double the amount.
Modern medical science and further studies in nutrition have been able to give us greater insights into how to extend your life even further. Here are some of the most effective ways to live a longer and healthier life.
Get Regular Checkups
Taking care of your body is important and making sure that everything is in working order is a must. You should take regular trips to the doctor in order to monitor that your health is in working order and that you don’t have any impending health issues that could conflict with your lifestyle.
The same goes for going to the dentist. It is important to monitor your mouth and make sure that you don’t have any cavities or other dental issues which could seriously affect your overall health. Many people fail to take proper care of their mouths and end up getting gum related diseases which can transfer the rest of the body. Making sure that your mouth is just as healthy as the rest of your body will do you many favors in the long run.
If you don’t give your body proper movement and exercise throughout your life your muscles will start to degrade and you will be less flexible, feel less energized, and may be prone to obesity-related diseases.
This doesn’t mean that you have to be an Olympian athlete, however engaging in some kind of low impact cardio activity at least three times a week is ideal. Many people go for a walk, take a light jog, or enroll in an exercise class like yoga or dance.
Alcohol and drugs are two things that will quickly degrade your body. Alcohol will make you age faster and can lead to problems like addiction or overdosing. The same goes for other substances. Many people make the mistake of thinking that just because a drug is prescribed by a doctor it does not have a negative effect on their bodies.
The truth is that whatever foreign substance you put into your body that isn’t natural can have damaging effects if not used in small doses. By avoiding drinking and taking drugs you can increase your lifespan by tens of years.
Eat Healthy Foods
Studies show that people who eat diets with less processed and fatty foods live longer lives. Try eating 90% of your diet from natural sources and save the rest of the 10% for the occasional treat.
Originally posted on May 25, 2017 @ 5:41 pm